Friday, October 24, 2008

High Tide

Well, today it is official!  Jan left her land-lubber motel for the seas...and at a higher tide than usual too!  That's right...as of 1 P.M. she was in Lankford Bay Marina aboard AcaDame, the 32 foot sloop that her class will be using each day.  "Class" will be with two other men and a captain...one man (married) is staying with his wife on board AcaDame's sister boat  in the next slip; second man is  not arriving at the marine until 2 A.M. (so he will be sleeping in the school for the night); the captain is not due into the marina until 8 A.M....now...does everyone understand the significance of the aforementioned info?  That translates into "Jan will be alone" in the forward berth for the restof the day and all of the night!  I did manage to put some of my learned skills to the test already. With 40 degrees and lower eminent for the evening, I figured out how to run the heater on this boat...as well interior lights and outlets.  Next challenge will be the "head," also known as loo, commode, toilet, what-have-you!  That may be the true and hardest challenge..and I do believe one that I had better figure out before too long!  So, this will be home for a few days at least.  Classes are on the Bay all day and then return to the dock for dinner and the night. 

While Jan is just "gettin' aboard," Jim should be docking in Norfolk, VA tomorrow sometime.  I have not the opportunity to even chat with him since he left Sunday PM, but I know he is having the time of his life!  I cannot imagine a week on a boat...no docking, cooking/eating on board...and showering (the latter which I am sure must be mighty challenging!)  I look forward to hearing about his outing as well as I am sure some of you are.

For now, Riesling in hand and the novel Twilight almost completed (not the best book to be reading alone in a boat in who-knows-where, USA!), I leave you.  May you "ride the waves"throughout your day.

2 comments:

THE WADE FAMILY said...

Have a great class....enjoy the seas!

The Bestest's said...

may 'ye not run into any pirates on the high seas.